Thursday 3 December 2009

K: Nouns

In the first post of its kind (on here, at any rate), I've decided to write about something that I feel vaguely irritated about, instead of writing about violence.

Nouns: they're not verbs. So, for example, "How will this impact on us?" is wrong. However, I'm aware of an inevitable transition here. Apparently "contact" used to be a noun only. There are probably a lot of misanthropic men somewhere (not too dissimilar to me, except older and wiser) who bemoan the loss of "contact", and its usurpation as a pseudo-verb, even though to me it's perfectly justifiable to use it as a verb.

The upshot of this is, of course, that I am doomed to be forever angry at these inevitable shifts, unless I can learn to embrace them. I've already created one of my own: I "fonzied" a broken vending machine and got it working. And we all use "google" as a verb (both of these examples are also non-capitalised, which should irk me more than it does). Also, I started the previous sentence with a conjunction. Is nothing sacred?

No comments:

Post a Comment