Friday 24 December 2010

Exhausting Small Talk

I can't be the only person who finds the task of being civil for more than a few minutes to be exhausting. Smiling, chatting, making eye contact, complimenting, not being confrontational or cynical. These are all difficult tasks, especially when attempted in unison.

I suppose most humans simply follow the path of least resistance in their lives, and a lot of people are lucky enough to find being pleasant and light-hearted to be the easiest - or at least most agreeable - way to approach social occasions. I struggle, because I'm naturally cynical and critical and my face looks grumpy in its natural position. I can muster genuine enthusiasm for close friends and relatives, because they interest me, but for everyone else - casual acquaintances, distant family members, co-workers, etc. - forced-pleasant social interaction is exhausting. I'm not adept at small talk.

2 comments:

  1. I'm shit at small talk.. I try, but I fail. It doesn't help that I look depressed, which ironically then makes me feel depressed as a result..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess all you can do is try and direct the chatting towards argument territory, so at least it'll be more exciting and you won't have to feign interest.

    ReplyDelete