Tuesday 12 January 2010

Godwin's Law

A good example of Godwin's Law came up today in a FaceBook group which opposed the proposed installation of Rod Liddle as editor of the Independent:



Liddle in the running for the Indie editor? Whatever next? Thank god for the web. Do we really need newspapers and TV "news" these days? The Sutton Trust did a survey of the educational background of leading Brit media journalists a couple of years ago. Over 50% attended private schools. You know, the ones that Hitler so admired. [http://www.suttontrust.com/reports/Journalists-backgrounds-final-report.pdf]. The BBC refused to co-operate with the survey. Can't think why. When I subsequently sent an FOI request to the BBC for this info they fobbed me off with some lame excuses for not providing it. So it seems that British media is the old boys'/girls' eye view of the world. No prizes for guessing which posiitons in the hierarchies of the media they occupy. 

Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."


It made me smile, and I got to publicise my AMAZINGLY-APT FaceBook group:
The link to which I've removed as part of my bizarre privacy drive (26th July 2011).

which is titled removed I did thoroughly enjoy this man's (boy's?) post though, as it combined a reasonable level of verbal sophistication with naked anti-snobbery and poor logic. I might make him a literary caricature! Incidentally, this would be the highest honour ever bestowed on anybody. And that's including receiving the Oscar for Best Picture. I rate myself highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment