Monday 19 April 2010

"Nationalism is an Infantile Disease."

The title of this post comes from Einstein, who was often critical of blind patriotism because of its inevitable descent into jingoistic violence.

Friday is St George's Day, the day which commemorates the patron saint of about half the known world, "as well as a range of professions, organisations, and disease sufferers." (Thanks, Wikipedia). I feel no connection with the man, who appears to be a semi-mythical, barbaric zealot. Since I was born in England, however, he is apparently my patron saint too.

This could be rather daunting, except England doesn't feel the need to wrap itself in flags and blind nationalism in the same way that the USA does. This is a good thing. Patriotism, regardless of its actual worth, has been disfigured by its close association with the worst, lowest elements of society. Crude racism, anti-immigration sentiment, and all-round xenophobia are the cornerstones of English nationalism, and I am glad that St George's Day receives comparatively little attention.

Apart from anything else, patriotism is completely unnecessary and unwarranted. I have no particular love for my country (although I enjoy residing in parts of it, and will happily pay for its upkeep), and I genuinely can't see why anyone else would. What is there to love? Our political system? It's certainly reasonable, and a lot better than many countries'. Our history? Like most other countries', largely shameful. The people? I like a lot of them, but only because of them, not because of their "Englishness". There's nothing inherent to England which means I should love it, any more than I should love one of perhaps ten to twenty of the most developed and progressive nations.

Perhaps, instead, patriotism is just a crude form of gang mentality. We can band together, and feel stronger in unity. I suppose that has a warm, fuzzy feel to it if you, say, decide to support England in the football World Cup (god knows why you'd want to) The downside of this gang mentality is its inevitable decline into right-wing violence. In an arguably enlightened age, I think we can dispense with this, along with the whole despicable relic of nationalism.

3 comments:

  1. Patriotism can evolve in tandem with the moral and cultural zeitgeist. Patriotism is a by product of society, and as we throw off prejudice so patriotism can reflect current values. Maybe . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my point is that we no longer have any need of it for its unifying properties. And even if we do, they're outweighed by the negative xenophobic tendencies it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that Branston are too far off rivaling Heinz in the Baked Beans stakes.

    ReplyDelete